A good dressing can take your meals to a whole new level and this one is a ripper! Not only does it taste amazing, but it’s also rife with wholesome nutrients. As an added bonus, it is extremely versatile and can be used cold as a salad dressing or warm atop of roasted vegetables.
Nutritional yeast is one of the nutritional superstars in this dressing. It is well known for its role in stabilising blood sugar levels and it contains a host of nutrients that contribute to its healthful benefits.
• Nutritional yeast is a complete protein source, containing all of the essential amino acids. This is perfect for those on a plant based diet as vegan and vegetarian complete protein sources can be tricky to come by.
• Nutritional yeast contains a good dose of fibre which aids in stabilising blood sugar levels, keeping you regular, removing harmful fats and cholesterol from your body and keeping your heart healthy.
• Nutritional yeast contains magnesium, a mineral that plays an important role in maintaining good heart, metabolic, mental, bone, and digestive health.
• Nutritional yeast contains zinc, a mineral that is important for controlling your blood sugar levels and regulating your overall energy levels, immune function and weight.
• Finally, nutritional yeast contains various B vitamins including B1, B2, B3, B5, B12 and folate. I could write a novel on the importance of B vitamins for health, but I’ll save that for another day and instead just tell you that an adequate B vitamin intake is 100% essential for optimal health and wellbeing.
Tahini is another nutritional superstar in this dressing. Tahini is also a complete source of protein and it is not only rich in vitamins and minerals, but it is also an amazing non-dairy source of calcium. Combining nutritional yeast with tahini, as well as a host of other nutrient dense ingredients makes the most delicious and wholesome dressing that is sure to become a staple in your household.
Creamy Dreamy Lemon Tahini Dressing (makes just under 1 cup)
¼ cup nutritional yeast
¼ cup tahini
¼ cup water
2 garlic cloves
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Zest and juice of one large lemon
Pinch of sea salt and cracked black pepper
Place all ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth and creamy. Feel free to add a little more water if you like a thinner dressing and a little more lemon for some extra zing.
Use it atop of salads, roast vegetables or anything that takes your fancy!